HIH GreenSmart Awards celebrate Australia's most sustainable homes
Author: Billy Pringle
The Housing Industry Association has announced its picks for Australia's best sustainable homes of 2017. The HIA GreenSmart Awards recognise the builders, designers and manufacturers who are striving for the highest standard of sustainability in the building industry.
This year, Victorian building company The Sociable Weaver won the award for HIA Australian GreenSmart Home of the Year. The design includes a butterfly-shaped roof to maximise solar penetration, as well as a kitchen bench feature made from recycled brick walls and recycled concrete pipe. Not only did The Sociable Weaver take out the top spot with their carbon positive, 10-star energy-efficient rated home, they also won the GreenSmart Display Home award.
Winners and finalists from all over the country were recognised for their contribution to sustainable practices in the industry. Other notable winners included Queensland company DJG Projects, who won the GreenSmart Custom Built Home Award with an off-grid house controlled by photovoltaic powered smart automation, and WA’s Right Homes who won the GreenSmart Townhouse/Villa Development award for 8 and 9.5-star energy efficient rated townhouses, and the GreenSmart Water Efficiency award for a home that will consume 80% less water than the average house, thanks in part to two 7,000 litre rainwater tanks.
"HIA GreenSmart Awards are a true showcase of builders and designers at the forefront of sustainability. Now more than ever consumers are looking for smarter ways to build and are increasingly seeking energy efficient homes for their comfort and long-term cost savings," said HIA Managing Director, Shane Goodwin.
For those of us hoping to see some green designs first hand, Sustainable House Day offers the perfect opportunity. This Sunday 17 September more than 170 houses across Australia will open their doors to 20,000 expected attendees, showcasing everything from solar and battery storage systems to green roofs and off-grid properties.
Sustainable House Day is an annual event run by the Alternative Technology Association (ATA), a not-for-profit organisation focusing on sustainable living and energy efficiency.
"Sustainable House Day is a unique opportunity for people to come and learn how to make their own homes more environmentally friendly, comfortable and cheaper to run" said Donna Luckman, ATA's Chief Executive.
Tickets to Sustainable House Day 2017 are currently sold out but for more sustainable home ideas and to find out about Sustainable House Day 2018 visit the website.
Whether you are a renter or a homeowner, there are a number of ways that you can save money while also reducing your ecological footprint.
- Consider switching to a retailer that offers a GreenPower product
- Switch to LED lighting where possible. The initial cost may be higher but it pays for itself in lower bills
- If you have air conditioning, switch the thermostat up one or two degrees in summer, and use natural ventilation where possible. If your air conditioning is on a timer, consider cooling your house in periods of low demand (i.e. in the middle of the day) and turning it down or off in periods of high demand
- When appliances need replacing, choose the most energy-efficient model that suits your needs
Subscribe to Positive Environment News.
Positive Environment News has been compiled using publicly available information. Planet Ark does not take responsibility for the accuracy of the original information and encourages readers to check the references before using this information for their own purposes.
Billy has completed a Masters in Discourse and Social Theory and is a frequent volunteer and supporter of Planet Ark.
- In the wake of the quake: Japanese towns choose energy self-sufficiency »
Like many cities and towns in Japan, Higashi Matsushima suffered severe damage during the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, l... More »
- Better demand management essential as electric cars hit the road »
Energy demand management has become a hot topic in Australia as consumers and big business struggle to adjust to service... More »
- Brush-tailed phascogale makes a surprise appearance on revegetated islands »
A cute surprise awaited conservationists on the mid-north coast of New South Wales when they found an unexpected guest, ... More »
- An electric future for driving »
Governments and industry boost appeal of hybrid vehicles, including the construction of an electric superhighway alongsi... More »
- Aurora, the world's largest solar thermal plant coming to Port Augusta »
Not long after the recent closures of its coal-driven power stations, South Australia's Port Augusta is now putting its ... More »
- India's renewable energy target to create 300,000 jobs »
India has a goal to reach its renewable energy target of 160 gigawatts (GW) by 2022. This massive growth of newer renewa... More »
- AECOM and Canadian energy storage start-up will cut costs by putting power under the pump »
A joint Australian-Canadian project will use compressed air to halve the cost of energy storage and provide the equivale... More »
- Aiming for a zero-carbon future within 10 years »
Beyond Zero Emissions has released a Zero Carbon Communities Guide to empower communities and councils. It provides a si... More »
- Australia is one step closer to being plastic bag free »
Australia's two biggest supermarkets announced this week that they will be phasing out single-use plastic bags. While th... More »
- World's largest crop of tequila plant set to fuel green energy in far north Queensland »
The world's largest crop of the plant used to make tequila is set to be cultivated in far north Queensland in order to f... More »
- Capturing Carbon to Tackle Climate Change »
Greenhouse gases - particularly carbon dioxide - remain in our environment for many years, contributing to the warming o... More »
- Printable Solar Panels a Game Changer »
Researchers at the University of Newcastle have launched Australia's first large-scale demonstration of printed solar pa... More »
- LEGO - Building Environmental Milestones One Block at a Time »
LEGO reaches sustainability goals three years ahead of schedule, in commitment to minimise environmental impact of well-... More »
- Answering the Call to Connect With Nature »
The theme of this year's World Environment Day, 'Connecting People to Nature', encourages everyone around the world to s... More »
- Planet Ark pays tribute to former Head of Campaigns, Brad Gray »
We pay tribute to Brad Gray, our former Head of Campaigns for his role in making Planet Ark Australia's leading environm... More »