Wise Words From An Eleven-Year-Old
Author: Emily Donnelly
It's often said that kids are our future. Fortunately many of them are thinking creatively about how we can all live more sustainably. We spoke to one Maya Grant a very passionate 11 year-old about household waste, the environment and her ideas on recycling.
If you were in charge how would you make the world better?
At home we always recycle stuff and have a compost heap for our food scraps but ever since I was four I have wanted to make a new household recycling bin system.
I would make a bin for recycling for the usual recyclable stuff then I would make an art bin for things that artists can use (like scrap paper, toilet rolls and jewelry). A compost bin for composting things and a bin for usable clothes for donating. I would also like a bin for things like fire wood, usable tools and nails and cardboard boxes.
Why is it important to look after the environment?
It is important because the environment is an important part of life and does so much for us. I would really like to make people realise the importance of nature and encourage more kids to volunteer in events like National Tree Day or National Recycling Week!
Share Your Kids Ideas and Get Involved
Are your kids passionate about the environment too? Send us your kids' tips and ideas on how they would make the world a better place to email@example.com or like our Facebook page and share their ideas.
Planet Ark has many opportunities for kids to show their environmental creativity:
- National Tree Day: Get the family outside and plant a tree in the local community or in your own backyard.
- National Recycling Week: Explore ideas for recycling or re-using items like old clothes, toys and books.
- RecyclingNearYou: Let the kids find recycling options for tricky items around the house and established a collection system at home for recyclable products such as e-waste, batteries or printer cartridges.
Emily worked in Planet Ark's media team from 2014 to 2015 after working in technology, business and corporate communications for Ogilvy PR and Howoth Communications in Sydney. As someone who is passionate about the environment, politics, traveling and food, Emily loves helping to engage Australian media in Planet Ark's essential campaigns.
- Scientist Discover Massive New Forests »
A new global analysis has discovered 467 million hectares of previously unreported forests. This amounts to an area equi... More »
- Inspiration is in Our Nature »
Nature elevates the human spirit. It ignites passion, inspiration, creativity and purpose. And it's the driving force be... More »
- Brock Commons - Mass Wood for the Masses »
Canada's Brock Commons will soon be the tallest modern timber building in the world. The project's architect Russell Act... More »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part One) »
Australians have embraced recycling with more than nine out of ten people recycling at home. But as the industry continu... More »
- Australia's Tallest Engineered Timber Building to be Built in Brisbane »
A high-performance commercial building and the tallest engineered timber building in the country is set to be built in t... More »
- Spotted Gum and Ironbark Feature in ICC Sydney »
Joint venture partners HASSELL + Populous have worked together to design a world class convention, exhibition and entert... More »
- Two More Wood Encouragement Policies Introduced in Western Australia »
The Shire of Manjimup, which is located 320km south of Perth, and the Shire of Dardanup, which is located close to Bunbu... More »
- Choosing an eco-friendly Christmas tree »
For a lot of us, Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without a tree, so should you fake it or go fresh?... More »
- Flings Save Tonnes of Paper »
For Planet Ark's National Recycling Week this year, organisations around the country participated in the Friday File Fli... More »
- Kaikoura District Council Building Survives Major Earthquake Unscathed »
On Monday 14 November a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the south island of New Zealand, impacting cities of Christchurc... More »
- Schools Recycle Right Challenge Winners »
The winners of the Naturale Schools Recycle Right Challenge Competition have been announced! Entries were received from ... More »
- Construction Commences on a 10-storey CLT Luxury Retirement Village in Sydney »
Building contractor Strongbuild has recently begun construction on a 10-storey CLT tower as part of a luxury retirement ... More »
- Get Crafty this Christmas »
Before you recycle this Christmas - why not re-use some every day items to make cards, wrapping paper, decorations and e... More »
- How to Reduce Spending and Your Eco-Footprint This Christmas »
With Australians spending over $1,000 at Christmas, some forward planning for meals and presents can lead to big savings... More »
- Soft Plastic - Scrunch and Recycle »
Soft plastics, the kind that can be scrunched into a ball, are among the biggest problems in the kerbside recycling syst... More »