Wise Words From An Eleven-Year-Old
Author: Emily Donnelly
It's often said that kids are our future. Fortunately many of them are thinking creatively about how we can all live more sustainably. We spoke to one Maya Grant a very passionate 11 year-old about household waste, the environment and her ideas on recycling.
If you were in charge how would you make the world better?
At home we always recycle stuff and have a compost heap for our food scraps but ever since I was four I have wanted to make a new household recycling bin system.
I would make a bin for recycling for the usual recyclable stuff then I would make an art bin for things that artists can use (like scrap paper, toilet rolls and jewelry). A compost bin for composting things and a bin for usable clothes for donating. I would also like a bin for things like fire wood, usable tools and nails and cardboard boxes.
Why is it important to look after the environment?
It is important because the environment is an important part of life and does so much for us. I would really like to make people realise the importance of nature and encourage more kids to volunteer in events like National Tree Day or National Recycling Week!
Share Your Kids Ideas and Get Involved
Are your kids passionate about the environment too? Send us your kids' tips and ideas on how they would make the world a better place to email@example.com or like our Facebook page and share their ideas.
Planet Ark has many opportunities for kids to show their environmental creativity:
- National Tree Day: Get the family outside and plant a tree in the local community or in your own backyard.
- National Recycling Week: Explore ideas for recycling or re-using items like old clothes, toys and books.
- RecyclingNearYou: Let the kids find recycling options for tricky items around the house and established a collection system at home for recyclable products such as e-waste, batteries or printer cartridges.
Emily worked in Planet Ark's media team from 2014 to 2015 after working in technology, business and corporate communications for Ogilvy PR and Howoth Communications in Sydney.
- Fight waste and get a bargain at the Big Aussie Swap »
Planet Ark is calling on Australians to join the War on Waste and take part in the Big Aussie Swap during National Recyc... More »
- 5 ways to start your environmental sustainability journey today »
Are you finding that you're becoming more and more aware of environmental issues, want to do your part but feeling overw... More »
- Schools are going solar with Planet Ark Power »
Planet Ark Power is helping schools around Australia to generate their own clean solar power, using energy efficiency an... More »
- Take the Schools Recycle Right Challenge »
Starting in October - the Schools Recycle Right Challenge is a 6 week build up to National Recycling Week.... More »
- Australians celebrate 22 years of National Tree Day »
Green thumbs were out in force to help celebrate Planet Ark's 22nd National Tree Day, planting to support the natural en... More »
- Going plastic free: what does it take? »
What does it take to go plastic free, even for a month, and what are some of the issues to consider? One of our staff me... More »
- National Tree Day is this weekend! »
This year Planet Ark celebrates 22 years of National Tree Day by asking, what does nature mean to you?... More »
- Planet Ark pays tribute to former Head of Campaigns, Brad Gray »
We pay tribute to Brad Gray, our former Head of Campaigns for his role in making Planet Ark Australia's leading environm... More »
- Scientist Discover Massive New Forests »
A new global analysis has discovered 467 million hectares of previously unreported forests. This amounts to an area equi... More »
- Inspiration is in Our Nature »
Nature elevates the human spirit. It ignites passion, inspiration, creativity and purpose. And it's the driving force be... More »
- Brock Commons - Mass Wood for the Masses »
Canada's Brock Commons will soon be the tallest modern timber building in the world. The project's architect Russell Act... More »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part One) »
Australians have embraced recycling with more than nine out of ten people recycling at home. But as the industry continu... More »
- Australia's Tallest Engineered Timber Building to be Built in Brisbane »
A high-performance commercial building and the tallest engineered timber building in the country is set to be built in t... More »
- Spotted Gum and Ironbark Feature in ICC Sydney »
Joint venture partners HASSELL + Populous have worked together to design a world class convention, exhibition and entert... More »
- Two More Wood Encouragement Policies Introduced in Western Australia »
The Shire of Manjimup, which is located 320km south of Perth, and the Shire of Dardanup, which is located close to Bunbu... More »