Give someone a (indoor) tree this Christmas!
Author: Claire Bell
Still looking for that perfect last minute gift? We’ve come up with some indoor plant recommendations which not only look good but also clean the air and bring a little bit of nature into your home.
Plants are a great gift option with many varieties able to withstand low light conditions and a fair amount of neglect!
Here are our top five plant picks:
- Fortune Fern (Zamioculcas zamiifolia) - also called 'Zanzibar Gem'.It likes moderate light levels and will go for weeks without water - very handy when you're on holidays.
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
- Perfect for low-light areas. Great in the laundry or bathroom, the peace lily removes mould spores. The plant itself does not require large amounts of water or sunlight to survive. Note this plant is toxic to cats if eaten.
- Rubber Plant (Ficus Elastica)
Like its name suggests the Rubber Plant is tough, capable of surviving and thriving in much less light and lower temperatures than most plants of its size.
- Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema)
The more time this plant spends in a space, the more effective it becomes at removing the air pollutants and toxins of the area. Much like the Peace Lily it can happily exist in even a low-light setting.
- Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea)
Another great air purifier and also pumps moisture back into the air. A nice structural plant that looks great. These three different kinds are all easy to grow indoors or in containers: The dwarf, the bamboo and the hardy bamboo.
The above choices are inexpensive, easy to grow and should keep giving pleasure for many years. For more information on caring for indoor plants visit ABC's Gardening Page.
Claire has been working at Planet Ark since 2011, after working in the communications industry and raising a young family. She is passionate about her children and helping the environment. Claire is super-organised and excellent multitasker, which helps in her joint roles as Office Manager and Campaign Coordinator.
- Win An iPad Pro by Taking Our Survey »
If you've used BusinessRecycling.com.au, then we'd like your feedback to make our service even better for you. Give us 5... More »
- New Scrap Metal Legislation for NSW »
As of the 1 March new rules came into effect for scrap metal dealers in NSW aimed at addressing property crime like copp... More »
- Wood - Nature Inspired Design Report Launched on World Wood Day »
To coincide with World Wood Day 2017 Planet Ark has completed a new report - Wood - Nature Inspired Design - which outli... More »
- 4 Ways to Make the Business Case for Less Waste »
The new guide that makes the business case for less waste. Save money, get a competitive edge and improve staff morale... More »
- 14 Items You Can Recycle - But Probably Aren't (Part One) »
Australians have embraced recycling with more than nine out of ten people recycling at home. But as the industry continu... More »
- The Circle of (Tree) Life »
Whatever kind of tree you have this Christmas, make it last. Whether it's a potted one to keep for years to come, a cut ... More »
- Do De-clutter, Then Recycle »
Planning a post-Christmas clean out? Put it all back to work while you're on holidays! We've got tips on donating to cha... More »
- Thanks for helping make 2016 a great year! »
Our mission is to help Australians take positive environmental actions, that's only possible thanks to our sponsors and ... More »
- Cleaner Christmas Travel »
Are you travelling across town to see Nanna at Christmas? Or are you taking the family to another state for a summer hol... More »
- The Secret to Battery-Powered Gifts »
If you're giving a battery-operated present one of the best things you can do for the recipient (and the planet) is to i... More »
- Magically Turn Your Mobile Into a Meal »
It's great to spread the magic of the festive season. Especially when you're doing something positive for the environmen... More »
- Choosing an eco-friendly Christmas tree »
For a lot of us, Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without a tree, so should you fake it or go fresh?... More »
- Easy Electrifying Recycling »
Are you getting a new mobile, computer or printer for Christmas? We've got tips on how to make sure the old device and a... More »
- Flings Save Tonnes of Paper »
For Planet Ark's National Recycling Week this year, organisations around the country participated in the Friday File Fli... More »
- Recycle Right At Christmas »
Brandy custard cartons? Mince pie trays? Squirty cream aerosols? Can these festive materials be recycled? Check out our ... More »